Monday 13 April 2015

UPDATE: Project So Far!!

After photographing plastic bags, and getting the viewer to perceive them as works of art rather than an everyday objects that are commonly associated with litter and storage, I have decided to look deeper into how people collect items that can be seem as rubbish, but to them, mean the world to them. I have been watching the Channel 4 programme "Hoarder Next Door", and have been especially inspired by the episode documenting the life of David, who collected items from various car boot sales in his local area, which made his house dangerous to live in because of the massive piles of items he owned. Although I do not want to document excessive hoarders, I would like to document people who collect items that can be perceived as rubbish, or something that people would not often collect. Car boot sales would be a good place to start in meeting people, as the well known saying at car boot sales is "one man's trash is another man's treasure"

My research and practice now plans to contain the underpinnings of collecting and hoarding as both a hobby and an illness. It will contain looking at objects such as old photographs and how we keep them in boxes and albums for our whole life, items such as receipts and notes that people willingly or unknowingly collect and hoard, as well as how hoarding and collecting can take over someones life. I plan to network with people who have a collection of items, and use them as my main body of research into collecting and hoarding of objects. I mentioned in my original ideas process back when I began this project that hoarding interested me as a photographic series, so I am glad that I was able to pursue this in this project. I am disappointed in myself that I have changed my idea since the last module, which should have been directly linked into this one, however, there are many similarities between the research that I did and the images that I am taking now. The concept and idea of consumerism and collecting continues throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment